Friday, September 7, 2007

You've Gotta Be Legally Blonde!


It's taken me awhile to go see the newest tween musical phenom Legally Blonde, but it was worth the wait. I must say that after listening to the cast recording on repeat for the past couple of months, I was surprised and delighted by the score as if I were hearing it for the first time.

Credit is to be given to Jerry Mitchell the Tony award winning choreographer for his turn wearing the double hat as Choreographer/Director for this rousing non-stop production. I enjoy Mitchell as a choreographer, and his directing kept the action fast paced. I can see how if the show had another director it could have been bogged down, but the constant action and singing made it highly enjoyable.

The sets were minimal, and at times I wanted to see big flashy set pieces, but the lack of sets was intentional for the amount of dancing that was incorporated into the show.

Laura Bell Bundy has arrived as Elle Woods, the part made famous by Reese Witherspoon in the film version. I had seen Bundy in the original cast of Hairspray, and enjoyed her as mean girl Amber Von Tussle, but feel that her role as Elle has cemented her as a bonafide star. Bundy is charming as Elle, and her great comic timing make her perfect for the role. Bell has stated in interviews regarding landing the part, "I knew that I was right for this part, and if I didn't get it, I should give up acting." Truer words were never spoken. Bundy is perfect for this part. She delivers all her lines with a sweetness and determination that make us grow to respect her portrayal of Elle, and her singing voice shows a range that I never realized about the young actor. Her belt is amazing, something that before now she has not been able to show off. Her dancing is also spot on. The best example is during the high power number "What You Want" which manages too incorporate a marching band and cheerleaders. Who would have thought that it would have worked as well as it did.

Andy Karl was on for Emmit the night I saw the production, and normally I am slightly disappointed when someone whom I had been looking forward to seeing(Christian Borle) is out of the show, I was surprised by Andy Karl's portrayal of Emmit. Which was different than I was expecting. I have read so much about the new Emmit being less sexy than he was intended to be in the movie, and more of an everyman. Karl did a good job of emphasizing the everyman aspect of him, but the sexiness thing he needed to tone down a little. Karl who usually plays the UPS guy was charming. His voice was a little weak for the songs, and he cracked several times. But we all can't be perfect every night(right Idina Menzel at theTony Awards).

Can we please get something out of the way before I go any further in this review? Michael Rupert as Professor Callahan, yikes. There is something so odd about his voice. It seems as though it's from a different era. I was so irked by him the whole time that I wanted to run up on stage and push him off and let an understudy go on so my ears would stop bleeding. His character is lifeless, and his song was uninspired. Overall I think they could have worked more on the character and written him a different song.

Orfeh, won me over. I have never really been a fan of hers, but her Paulette was hysterical and her belt was out of control. Having only heard her sing before I was not a fan, but now I see why her Tony nomination happened. She brought something new to the role, she played it less clueless than Jennifer Coolidge did in the film, she was just a loud annoying woman who happened to have a heart of gold.

Richard H. Blake perennial bad guy was great as Warner, Elle's ex boyfriend whom she follows to Harvard Law, in the hopes of winning him back. Poor guy is always cast as the villain, oh well, at least it keeps him working, and he gets some of the best moments in the show.

Kate Shindel Miss America 1998 shines as Vivienne Kensington, the evil fiance of Warner who at the end of the musical has a change of heart and belts the crap out of "Legally Blonde Remix" Though the sudden loathing to loving of Elle by Vivienne is rather shocking and kind of absurd, Shindel shines. I expect to see more from her in the future.

The three Delta Nu sisters played masterfully by Tracey Jai Edwards, Asmeret Ghebremichael, and Annaleigh Ashford, were fun and added some spunk to the ensemble. Ms. Ashford was by far the best of the three, and also the only remaining of the three sisters who originated their roles. She makes the phrase true that there are no small parts, because she rocked every number she was in. I will most definitely be seeing her in Wicked(a show I promised that I wouldn't revisit, but for her I would).

The best aspect of the show though had to be the dogs. Chico in the role of Bruiser was so adorable that I got distracted from the opening number. And Chloe as Rufus, pure brilliance. I never knew I would be so taken by a pair of dogs.


Overall I would have to say that this production was great. It had it's weak points, but the strengths fully made up for it. Jerry Mitchell showed that he was more than capable to direct and choreograph a show, and I look forward to seeing what he has in store for us in the future. Laura Bell Bundy and Orfeh were standouts and proved to us that Blondes really do have more fun. I highly recommend this show, especially to people who have daughters.

No comments: