Monday, October 1, 2007

We Love Spelling



I have already seen The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, with most of the original cast, so I am always hesitant to see something with replacements, or in some cases can't wait to see something with replacements *coughMaryPoppinssansAshelyBrowncough*. But I was pleasantly surprised with the new cast of Spelling Bee.

Most of the cast hails from the shows first national tour, so they are no strangers to the roles they are now portraying on the Broadway stage. And in some cases some of the cast brings something new to the role that I had not seen with previous cast members. Stanley Bahorek as Leaf Coneybear brings more of a space cadet quality to the role than did he predecessors Barrett Foa and Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Granted Leaf is the type of character that could be overplayed very easily, and Mr. Bahorek brings a level of goofiness to the role that is not over nor underplayed, but played to perfection.

Other cast standouts are Sara Inbar as Logainne Schwartzandgrubiennaire, her performance was the most striking to me. She had a great stage presence and it surprised me to find out that she was getting her Masters in teaching from Columbia University's Teaching College. I guess being uber talented doesn't always mean that you will find steady work as an actor and she is getting her teaching degree so that she can continue to inspire others to pursue greatness. Wow that last line was really hokey I apologize to my few readers out there for that lapse of judgement and corniness.

Aaron J. Albano is good as Chip Tolentino the young speller with an "Unfortunate Erection" but his voice lacks the power and umph that Jose Llana's did. But his performance was enjoyable nonetheless. The same could be said for Jenni Barber the show's new Olive Ostrovsky. Her portrayal was sweet, but almost too sweet to handle the vocal demands. There were times during the show where I couldn't hear anything she was singing/saying. Jared Gertner as William Barfee was amazing, I think this may be one of those parts that is written so well that it is almost actor proof, but he brought something new to the role, his Barfee was less annoying and more funny than the previous incarnations I have seen. And Greta Lee as the overachiever Marcy Park was good, but lacked the certain vocal punch that is required for her song "I Speak Six Languages" but gave an otherwise amazing performance.

Spelling Bee seems to be one of those shows that doesn't need to have big names in it for it to be a continued success. Granted it's not selling out anymore, but I don't think that it's on it's last legs either.

I do have a couple bones to pick with this show though. 1. Whomever is playing Mitch Mahoney, the Comfort counselor, he needs to lay off on the riffing and just let William Finn's score speak for itself. This is most evident in "The I Love You Song" he freaked out riffing and messed up the entire tonality of the song. 2. "The I Love You Song" can someone please tell me why this song is in the show? The show is riding high on laughs, then BAM! sadness times 20. It kind of brings down the whole mood of the show. Granted as a stand-alone number the song is beautiful, but within the confines of the show it tends to baffle and confuse the audience.

Overall I say the new cast that inhabits the "gym" of the Spelling Bee is more than capable of handling the show, and I hope to see the show run for at least another couple of years.

No comments: